Modest Mouse, ' The Ground Walks, With Time In A Box ” Review

Every time I listen to it I start violently shaking my limbs to the beat and going full blast jumping and dancing. Am I the only only one?

It’s my favorite song from Strangers to Ourselves, and one of my favorite songs from Modest Mouse ever. I think it’s genius in every way.

You are watching: The ground walks, with time in a box

Also, I’ve always seen it as a spiritual successor to The Stars are Projectors, thematically, lyrically and in its composition.

That's interesting, I wrote a long post about “The Ground Walks…” around the time the album came out. I always thought it was sort of supposed to be a followed up to “Teeth Like God's Shoeshine,” where world was ruined by people and all these years later this wasteland is all that's left.

All the same, I definitely feel like the lyrics

“Our predecessor left this box

And something's clawing around

I think it really wants out”

Is definitely a nod to older material, especially with the way it sounds like they're playing guitar harmonics after he says that.

ReportSave
Continue this thread

level 1
· 4y
They ended the show with that song in Madison WI this year and it was just a big giant jam. Ended up being my favorite song of the night. That bass line just grooves so well.

See more: How Old Is My Son ? I Am Three Times As Old As My Son

ReportSave
level 1
· 4y

A lot of people compare this particular song to a Talking Heads joint, and I totally see it with all the music arrangements and lyrics about environmental destruction. It's just a fun song, and in my opinion their best.

I also threw my neck out and screamed way louder than a grown man should when they played it live.

ReportSave
level 1
· 4y

Word. It's a pretty great song to Jam to. Whenever they get to the “We greased all the ropes” sections I think of the horror movie The Strangers

ReportSave
level 2
Op · 4y

Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t it “We greased all the roads”? I love that part so much tho

ReportSave
Continue this thread

level 1
· 4y
In my top 3 songs. It's the one absolute masterpiece from Strangers to Ourselves.

See more: Consider The Beam And Loading Shown. Assume That The Flexural Rigidity Ei Of The Beam Is Constant.

ReportSave
level 1
· 4y

That song is Talking Heads to the T and I absolutely adore it. Easily my favorite Strangers track by a mile. When I saw them at the Port Chester show on the 14th they played it and to my dismay the room was the most static it had been that entire night. How do you not dance your ass off to that track?

ReportSave