Forced Subtitles In The Star Wars Episode 3 Subtitles Alien Only

AuthorKatoDate5-May-2012, 8:15 AMAuthorKatoTime5-May-2012 8:15AM(Edited)Post link

Hello All. I am new to the forum and have a question regarding the forced subtitles in the Star Wars films released on DVD in the mid 2000″s.

You are watching: Star wars episode 3 subtitles alien only

A few years back I converted my home entertainment systems to Windows Media Center and Xbox 360″s. At that time I started converting the hundreds of DVD”s I”ve purchased over the years to single .mpeg files so I could watch them over Media Center. What I realized after a number of conversions is that some movies that have subtitles for non-english speaking parts are not encoded in the video itself but are part of the subtitle stream. So upon conversion I lost all of these subtitles. The Star Wars films that I have on DVD are all like this.

I have now figured out how to re-encode the films using Handbrake encoder and to actually burn the subtitles in and have been successful with all of the Star Wars films execept for Episode III and Episode V.

The problem with III and V is that I can”t seem to identify which subtitle stream contains the dialogue of the aliens. Partly because I can”t remember where in these films that this happens.

What I”m hoping is help with “where does this happen?”

Can anyone tell me approximately how far (or what scenes) in these films does alien dialogue appear on screen so I can test for the proper subtitle stream?

This would be greatly appreciated as I don”t think this happens very much in these two films. Compared to say Episode VI where it happens alot, especially at the beginning of the film.

Cheers,

Kato

11 Replies

AuthorGaffer TapeTime5-May-2012 9:10AM(Edited)Post link

Yeah, the lack of burned-in subtitles is something that has pissed me off to no end, especially the tendency for the subtitle track subtitles to not even exist inside the frame but instead placed in the matte! Of all the stupid decisions Lucasfilm has made… this is one of them.

I can”t speak for Sith, as I haven”t seen it in a while, but the reason you can”t find any in Empire is because… there aren”t any! There isn”t a single alien subtitle in that movie, so stop your search, or you”ll just drive yourself crazy. =P

There is no lingerie in space…

C3PX said: Gaffer is like that hot girl in high school that you think you have a chance with even though she is way out of your league because she is sweet and not a stuck up bitch who pretends you don’t exist… then one day you spot her making out with some skinny twerp, only on second glance you realize it is the goth girl who always sits in the back of class; at that moment it dawns on you why she is never seen hanging off the arm of any of the jocks… and you realize, damn, she really is unobtainable after all. Not that that is going to stop you from dreaming… Only in this case, Gaffer is actually a guy.

AuthorKatoTime5-May-2012 11:26AMPost link

Gaffer Tape said:

Great, and thanks …. will stop my search re: Episode V.

Now we must turn our attention to Episode III. I suppose I could always dig my DVD”s out of storage and watch that one off the of the DVD to see.

Anyone know where the forced subs are in Episode III?

Cheers,

Kato

Authorray_afraidTime6-May-2012 1:58PMPost link

Kato said:

Anyone know where the forced subs are in Episode III?

No, but I can easily point out the forced dialog. Does that help? ; )

Ray’s LoungeBiggs in ANH edit ideaROTJ opening edit idea

AuthorKatoTime6-May-2012 8:23PMPost link

Ah yes ….. “force” – “d” very funny.

AuthorKatoTime6-May-2012 8:26PM(Edited)Post link

125 views and we still haven”t solved the mystery yet.

I figured that I”d get my answer in minutes on a Star Wars forum.

See more: Why Is No One Talking About The Mouthfeel ?: Contrapoints Mouthfeel Gifs

I find this bizarre …. and perhaps abit disturbing.

AuthornoneTime6-May-2012 10:05PMPost link

There might not be any in Ep3. The alien characters which had them in the earlier movies (Watto, Poggle) either don”t make an appearance or have been reduced to non-speaking roles.

AuthorAkwat KbranaTime6-May-2012 10:08PMPost link

Kato said:

125 views and we still haven”t solved the mystery yet.

I figured that I”d get my answer in minutes on a Star Wars forum.

I find this bizarre …. and perhaps abit disturbing.

Before getting too disturbed, keep in mind that this is “brianowens.tv,” not “prequeltrilogy.com.” We”re a bit more knowledgeable about one end of the saga than the other, around here. 😉

Every 27th customer will get a ball-peen hammer, free!

Authorcthulhu1138Time6-May-2012 10:49PMPost linkNeither TESB or ROTS have any alien languages subtitled.

“The only decision made here today was one of cowardice. They’ve placed the burden of this war on the shoulders of one man and thus appointed a dictator. No honest man pines for supreme authority. All good men know of their own fallibility.” -what Mace Windu should have said in Episode II-

AuthorKatoTime7-May-2012 8:22PMPost link

Akwat Kbrana said:

Yes — my apologies..that is very true. Thanks for all of your help.

AuthorKatoTime7-May-2012 8:23PMPost link

cthulhu1138 said:

Neither TESB or ROTS have any alien languages subtitled.

Excellent. Cheers.

AuthorbkuepperTime22-May-2017 2:15PMPost link

Alien only subtitles can be found here:

I believe only Star Wars Episode’s I, II, IV, & VI have aliens speaking

I have had the best luck with Plex on Apple TV for subtitles working with ease.