There have been several scandals involving professional athletes who were found to use performance enhancing drugs. Yet, the use of steroids has been common among sports stars, bodybuilders, and even high school and college athletes. The debate whether these drugs should be legalized or not has been around for quite some time, and proponents from both sides have strong arguments. However, is it really worth it to overlook the disadvantages of using steroids for its advantages? Take a look at some of its pros and cons before you decide what stand to take on the issue.
List of Pros of Anabolic Steroids
1. They improve endurance. Steroids help the body to produce more red blood cells. The red blood cells are responsible for carrying oxygen to the muscles and other parts of the body. With more red blood cells, the muscles can work longer and harder because there is a more consistent supply of oxygen, so endurance significantly increases. Muscles are also able to recover faster with the help of additional oxygen.
2. They increase power, strength, agility, and speed. Athletes and bodybuilders are able to improve their overall performance with the help of steroids. This gives them an edge over the competition, but it is also for his reason why performance enhancing drugs are banned from sports leagues and competitions.
3. They can give you a bigger and more muscular body. Studies show that steroids can increase body size, that is why they are popular with bodybuilders and those who want to bulk up. Additionally, these drugs don’t cause water retention so you end up with a more ripped build.
You are watching: Pros and cons of steroids
4. They can help with hormonal imbalances. Some doctors actually prescribe steroids for patients who have low testosterone levels. These drugs can help in maintaining a more normal level of testosterone when used under the supervision of a physician.
List of Cons of Anabolic Steroids
1. They can become addictive. Because of their ability to make bodies stronger, bigger, and faster, many athletes, bodybuilders, and weight lifters became addicted to steroids. Even if these drugs are illegal and banned from sports, some individuals find other ways to get them.
2. They put you at a higher risk for certain health conditions. There have been reports about athletes who abused steroids and ended up suffering from heart attacks and strokes. Users of steroids can also develop kidney and liver problems, high blood pressure and cholesterol, and tumors.
3. They have harmful side effects. Performance enhancing drugs have several side effects. Since steroids don’t retain water, you can be prone to cramps, dizziness, exhaustion, and dehydration. Men might also have to deal with infertility, shrunken testicles, and breast enlargements, while women may be prone to growing facial hair and baldness. These drugs can also cause acne, and they also interrupt the growth spurt of boys Other known side effects are extreme depression and mood swings.
4. They are illegal. In some states, you can be arrested for the possession or selling of steroids. There have also been professional athletes who have been stripped of their medals and awards and banned from their respective sports when it was proven that they used performance enhancing drugs.
So, do you think steroids should be legalized? Do you think they are okay to use if they are regulated properly and are done under the supervision of a doctor, despite their harmful side effects?
Crystal Lombardo is a contributing editor for Vision Launch. Crystal is a seasoned writer and researcher with over 10 years of experience. She has been an editor of three popular blogs that each have had over 500,000 monthly readers.